Our vision is one of:
- Pupils who are capable, ethical citizens of the world, distinguished by their knowledge of Science, their engagement with the subject and their problem solving capabilities.
- Teaching practice that is recognised within the school community for its originality and rigour; a Science Staff that inform and lead professional practice.
- An Environment that challenges, enthuses and supports all to learn and excel
- To strengthen and sustain our capacity to realise this vision our Staff will actively seek to expand upon their Professional Development, ensuring that every youngster in our care is afforded the best possible Science education.
Our Courses encourage resourcefulness, which leads to becoming a confident individual. Successful learners in Biology think creatively, analyse and solve problems. Through studying Biology in St Andrew’s we produce responsible citizens, through studying the impact it makes on their lives, on the environment, and on society.
Broad General Education: S1 - S3
In S1, a range of topics are covered including: Our DNA; This is Me; The Periodic Table; What’s the Matter; Hot Stuff; Energy & Forces
In S2, a range of topics are covered including: communication; relationships; Curiosity; Reflection.
In S3, a range of topics are covered including: cell structure and transport; DNA; genetic engineering; stem cells; urinary system; cardiovascular system; environmental biology. Within BGE Science learners will develop transferable skills such as problem solving and teamwork when collaborating with others. In addition, the Science Faculty uses Making Thinking Visible thinking routines to help with the development of both academic and social skills.
Pupils will be able to:
- Work cooperatively with others
- Work independently
- Develop social skills
- Improve literacy and numeracy skills
- Develop ICT skills
- Develop skills of problem solving
- Explore issues such as health and wellbeing
- Develop scientific enquiry and investigative skills
- Become scientifically literate
- Learn interesting and relevant biological content
- Use technology, equipment and materials safely in a practical scientific activity